Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Day Off



In Hawaii we have times when the clouds seem to open and it downpours for about five minutes and then it stops. Last night it downpoured all night long! It wasn't a slow steady rain, it poured all night. It is rare that we ever get thunder and lightening but it went throughout the night. I thought if it was real bad the power would go out but we never lost power. I awoke at 4:45 as usual to get ready for seminary. I left for the church an hour later with the rain still pouring down. I started driving with my windshielf wipes going on high speed. I drove my usual way but the road was flooded so I tried a new route. I never made it to the church. Everything has been canceled for the day. There is no school, very few stores are opened, roads are closed and bridges are "compromised." Many homes are full of water. BYU-Hawaii is closed except for the testing center. The Red Cross has moved in and set up shelters.
You think everyone would be in their homes enjoying a good video - but not in Hawaii. The kids are loving it. People are rafting and kayaking up and down the streets and having a blast. The rain has slowed but continues. Steve told me it seems like a baking day. I think that is a major hint so I'll spend the rest of the day making up some goodies. If the rain would have been snow we would really be ready for Christmas.

2 comments:

Marné said...

I talked to Grandma today and she was talking about the boys boating down the streets...so I'm glad to see a post about it. Looks crazy. I hope you got some good baking in :)

Michelle said...

oh dear ... pretty sure casey, cody and tanner had the time of their lives, right?